Documents You Will Need

17 November 2016

Evidence of Full Legal Name and Date of Birth

Applicants for a driver’s license or identification card must present an unexpired original or certified
copy of one of the following:
• State-issued birth certificate (original or certified copy)
• A valid, unexpired United States Passport or United States Passport Card
• Nevada Department of Corrections identification card (not valid for a Real ID)
• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
• A driver’s license, instruction permit, or identification card from another state that contains a
Real ID marking approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

—— Any Real ID card that is marked as “limited term” is not acceptable for proof of name and
date of birth; acceptable immigration documents must be shown.
Born Outside the U.S.
• Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
• Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
Permanent Residents
• Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

—— The old pink version of the I-551 previously called the Resident Alien Card that contains
no expiration date is also acceptable. This is subject to change based on Department of
Homeland Security policies.
• Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an I-94 stamped “Processed for I-551.” If the I-94 is
expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.
Limited-Term Residents
Any license or identification card issued using limited term documents will be marked “Limited
Term” on the face of the card.
• Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
• Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with an unexpired U.S. Visa and an I-94 form. If the I-94 is
expired, you must also present a Notice of Action (I-797) showing an approved extension.
Any immigration documents presented will be submitted for electronic verification of lawful status.
The following is a list of documents not accepted as proof of name and age:
• Hospital-issued birth certificate
• Driver’s license or identification card from other U.S. states, U.S. Territories or foreign
• Foreign birth certificate
• Border crossing card
• Consular identification card
If your name is different from what is presented on one of the above documents, you will be asked
to present legal documentation reflecting your name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce
decree, spouse’s